Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town PBA IMAGESFailing to advance to the semifinals in both conferences last season, AMA Online Education has the rights to the first overall pick in the 2016 PBA D-League Draft on Dec. 20 at PBA Cafe in Metrowalk, Pasig.AMA head coach Mark Herrera had already bared the Titans are eyeing Jeron Teng as the top selection.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH among economies most vulnerable to virus Ginebra teammates show love for Slaughter EDITORS’ PICK Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH READ: Teng set to be top pick by AMA in PBA D-League DraftThe 22-year-old Teng is coming off a memorable fifth year with La Salle where he led the Green Archers to the UAAP Season 79 championship and was also named Finals MVP.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSFreddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao is my Muhammad AliFoundation Cup runner-up Tanduay will select second, followed by Racal, Aspirants’ Cup bridesmaid Cafe France and Wangs Basketball.There will also be a lottery come draft day for newcomers Cignal, Jose Rizal University, Manuel L. Quezon University, and Province of Batangas to decide their placing in the draft order. Senators to proceed with review of VFA Shanghai officials reveal novel coronavirus transmission modes We are young As fate of VFA hangs, PH and US forces take to the skies for exercise MOST READ As a guest team, Blustar Malaysia will be ineligible to pick in the draft proceedings.There are 113 local and 15 Fil-foreigners eligible to be selected in the draft.The 2017 PBA D-League Aspirants’ Cup kicks off on January 19 next year.ADVERTISEMENT Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND Smart’s Siklab Saya: A multi-city approach to esports NBA: Westbrook’s streak stopped, Warriors rebound from loss Where did they go? Millions left Wuhan before quarantine View comments
SENSE OF INCLUSION Sport Minister Olivia Grange said that despite criticisms of the maquette of the statue being created for Olympian Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, she is happy that there is public discourse about it. Fraser-Pryce’s statue’s maquette, a small mock-up of the final product, was unveiled at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel on June 23. However, much like when fellow Olympian Usain Bolt’s was unveiled ahead of his statue last year, the Jamaican public has given a largely negative response to it, saying that it does not look like the sprinter. But Grange told The Gleaner that this was expected, especially after the response to the maquette of Bolt’s statue. “I think that we can only benefit from the conversation,” she said. “When you treat with a statue, normally the public does not get a chance to see a maquette. They see the statue itself when it is unveiled. So I’m saying to the public right now, what I have done is to ensure that you are engaged in the process. It is good to get the feedback from the public and to be able to assess if what you are doing is ensuring that the people are a part of the conversation.” Grange said that the reason the maquettes of statues of athletes such as Bolt and Fraser-Pryce were unveiled to the public, is to give it a sense of being included in the process. “I would want to encourage everyone to understand that it is our respect for them why we have actually unveiled a maquette,” she explained. “It is so they can be part of the whole development of this monument that is going to be mounted in tribute to Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who has been one of our most outstanding women.” Grange had previously said that the statue, being sculpted by Basil Watson, will be unveiled at the end of the track and field season. It will be mounted at Statue Park at Independence Park, at the National Stadium, where Bolt’s monument is located. firstname.lastname@example.org
“Cortege” is one example of a word that simply lost its degree of difficulty when used in everyday vocabulary, she said. Andrews, whose son won the bee in 1994, has been the word list manager since 1998, leading a three-person panel that spends the year looking for words in likely – and unlikely – places. One year she added “cloisonne” (an enamel process used to make jewelry) after spotting it in a mail order catalog. In a perfect world, all of the words in each round would be equally difficult to spell. No one wants to hear that collective audience groan that says: “Oh, that’s an easy one.” “There is no objective way to evaluate the difficulty level of words,” said Paige Kimble, the spelling bee’s director. “There are words that people are exposed to more frequently because of where they live or because of their culture or because of their age.” Last year’s winner, Katharine Close, 14, of Spring Lake, N.J., said she didn’t know some of the words that knocked out her competitors. WASHINGTON – “Cortege” got demoted after the death of Princess Diana, when the media used the French-sounding word over and over to describe the funeral procession. These days, it’s a softball word for the best of the 286 spellers gathering in the nation’s capital for the 80th annual Scripps National Spelling Bee. The competition will begin Wednesday and will culminate with a prime-time Thursday night finish on ABC. The young competitors have spent months poring over word lists and dictionaries, probing the depths of etymology in an attempt to answer one nagging question: What strange word is Carolyn Andrews going to come up with next? “It is tricky,” said Andrews, who has the daunting task of finding competitive words for the spelling bee. “What’s easy for one person might be difficult for another. That is the hardest part of developing the word list.” “It’s just a matter of luck that I didn’t get those, and I got words that I did know how to spell,” she said. Two years ago, Samir Patel wasn’t happy when he finished second after missing the word “Roscian” (pertaining to acting) while his opponent correctly spelled “appoggiatura.” Appoggiatura (a type of musical note) looks a lot uglier in print, but Roscian – with its capital letter – is one of those dreaded proper adjectives, words based on names that don’t always follow the usual rules of structure that help the best spellers piece together the letters. “A lot of times the difficulty is just a matter of opinion,” said Samir, 13, of Colleyville, Texas. He is competing for the fifth time this year and is considered one of the favorites to win the title. The spellers have plenty of resources to give them a head start. The bee’s Web site has a Consolidated Word List of 23,413 words from previous bees, and Andrews writes a 36-week course of study aids called “Carolyn’s Corner.” But the one and only complete source for study is the unabridged Webster’s Third New International Dictionary – and it contains more than 470,000 entries. “We don’t advocate memorizing lists,” Andrews said. “We want them to learn how words are put together. We want them to learn prefixes, suffixes and combining forms, and spelling patterns of the various languages.” There comes a point, however, when the bee has to separate the elite from the rest of the pack. The spellers know that as the competition nears the end, more and more words come out of left field, words such as “weltschmerz” (a type of mental depression), which stymied the runner-up last year. “Obviously, the competition can’t go on forever,” Andrews said. “That’s how you get a champion – by making the words more difficult.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Check out this clip of Scotland manager Gordon Strachan swearing at a journalist following his side’s 5-1 win over Malta.You would expect the former Coventry, Southampton, Celtic and Middlesbrough boss would be happy after Robert Snodgrass netted a hat-trick, along with strikes from Chris Martin and Steven Fletcher, to give his side a comfortable win.But, as the 59-year-old waited alongside the Maltese journalist for a television interview post-match, the presenter was having communication issues with the studio.Strachan, who was highly decorated as a player with Aberdeen, Manchester United and Leeds United, grew increasingly impatient.The journalist then repeatedly shouted down the microphone: “Rodney! Rodney! Rodney!”Strachan soon snapped: “Tell Rodney to get a f****** move on!”The journalist, once again said: “Rodney!”Strachan then said “who’s Rodney?”Watch the funny clip, above!
Chelsea are plotting a shock raid on Tottenham for defender Ben Davies, according to reports.The Welsh left-back, 23, is wanted by Antonio Conte on the back of his impressive performances, as well as to boost the Blues’ home-grown quota, The Sun has revealed.Mauricio Pochettino regularly rotates his full-backs, but £20-million-rated Davies is predominantly second choice at White Hart Lane behind Danny Rose.He put in impressive performances for the Dragons at Euro 2016 as part of a three-man defence – something Conte could utilise in his favoured formation.The former Swansea star is also seen as an option to meet Premier League rules as the Blues prepare for life after 36-year-old captain John Terry.League rules state eight home-grown players are required in a matchday squad and Davies fits the bill.Davies, who moved to north London from South Wales in 2014 for £10m, has made just two appearances for Pochettino’s men so far this season, after injury to England international Rose in recent weeks.Last season he made 39 appearances in total for Tottenham and Wales and his versatility could be key for Chelsea, who signed Spanish left-back Marcos Alonso on deadline day.How do Chelsea and Tottenham fans feel about these reports? Comment below with your thoughts… Ben Davies: The Welsh defender made 39 appearances for club and country last season 1
11 9. Vincent Janssen (striker) 19. Moussa Dembele (central midfielder) 1. Hugo Lloris (goalkeeper) – see the full line up in squad number order, by clicking the right arrow above… 23. Christian Eriksen (right-wing) 11 11 11 11 11 11 2. Kyle Walker (right-back) Tottenham Hotspur travel to the Riverside Stadium on Saturday afternoon looking to maintain their unbeaten start to the Premier League season.Sitting in third place, Spurs will be confident of ending the weekend with that record intact as they look to consolidate their top-four position.Harry Kane will miss his first league game since November 2014 after being ruled out for potentially two months with an ankle injury. The pressure will be on Vincent Janssen to fill the England man’s scoring boots.Moussa Dembele and Eric Dier sat out the 5-0 win over Gillingham in the EFL Cup but will be pushing to start, after struggling with hamstring injuries.So, who do we think will start for the Lilywhites at the Riverside? Click the right arrow above to see our predicted Tottenham team to face Middlesbrough… 7. Heung-min Son (left-wing) 33. Ben Davies (left-back) 11 4. Toby Alderweireld (centre-back) 11 20. Dele Alli (attacking midfielder) 5. Jan Vertonghen (centre-back) 11 11 15. Eric Dier (defensive midfielder)
This is a Polk Township Coon Hunter, circa mid-1860’s, Thomas Jefferson Markland. He moved to Edgar County, Illinois in 1868 and committed suicide, by drinking chloroform, in 1894.That’s according to our Washington County Historian – Jeremy Elliott. Thanks for keeping us IN THE KNOW with our weekly history lesson!
Local officials are voicing their dismay after the cannon overlooking the Thames River at Tecumseh Park was marred by vandalism recently, leaving the barrel of the historic artifact covered in white spray paint.Jeff Bray, the Municipality of Chatham-Kent’s manager of parks and open spaces, called it an unfortunate incident and a waste of resources to clean up.“It just takes staff time away from regular duties that they should be focusing on,” he said on Tuesday. “We had some (War of) 1812 plaques thrown in the river that we have to replace as well.”Bray said the cannon will be repainted in the near future, adding there isn’t much police can do about such a random offence.“It’s been tagged before and we’ve just cleaned it,” he said, “but this (is) a little more extensive than just taking some tags off.”According to local historian John Rhodes, the cannon is from Crimea, dating back to the 1850s.“It was a Russian cannon captured by the British. If you look at the Georgian Arms, on the top of the cannon, you’ll notice that the metal work is a little sloppy,” he wrote in an email. “That is because the Czarist crest was disfigured and British insignia forged on to it. The cannon was one of three that ended up in Point Edward.”Rhodes added that former Chatham mayor John Carpenter saw the cannons at Point Edward and asked if Chatham could have one.Carpenter was told he could have all three just by taking them. He came back to Chatham and asked council for the freight money but was refused.“He then, at his own expense, went and got one of the cannons and brought it back to Chatham,” Rhodes said. “This took place in the 1890s.”There have been several other acts of vandalism and thefts at various sites this year.Just last week, Chatham-Kent police announced they were seeking the public’s help in recovering a bronze bust valued at $5,000 that was stolen from atop a gravestone at the Craford Cemetery in Raleigh Township.In March, a commemorative plaque was stolen from the grounds of the former Southwestern Regional Centre in Dealtown.That same month, metal lettering was swiped from Legion Memorial Chapel in Maple Leaf Cemetery.email@example.comTwitter.com/DailyNewsTT
30 June 2005After 10 years and over R6-million in legal fees, Rooibos Ltd has won the battle over ownership of the generic term “rooibos”, according to a company statement. The name of the tea, an everyday word in South Africa, was registered as a trademark in the US by Forever Young Ltd in 1994.According to the settlement agreement announced on Wednesday, Forever Young and the new owner of the trademark, Virginia Burke-Watkins, voluntarily and unconditionally agreed to the cancellation of their registration of the word “rooibos” in the US and various other countries. “Rooibos” is Afrikaans for “red bush”.The tea is grown only in the Cedarberg area of the Western Cape, about 200 kilometres north of Cape Town. There is no alternative source of supply anywhere in the world.Rooibos Ltd was the main driving force behind the case, with help from the national and Western Cape governments. A tea-processing and marketing company owned by farmers, Rooibos Ltd is the largest producer and marketer of rooibos internationally, handling about 70% of sales.“The livelihood of all rooibos farmers as well as tea manufacturers was threatened by this name-registration issue,” said Martin Bergh, managing director of Rooibos Ltd. “We had to do something about it.”In 1994, Forever Young registered the name “rooibos” in the US and numerous other countries, restricting the use the word to only those willing to do business with the company. In 2001, Forever Young sold the registration to Virginia Burke-Watkins of Dallas, Texas.Business Day reports that in 2004, Burke-Watkins sent letters to rooibos distributors in the US, insisting they stop using the term in their marketing material and demanding $5 000 (over R30 000) compensation from them.This year a Missouri district court ruled that rooibos was a generic term, the newspaper reports, and could not be used as a trademark. Burke-Watkins lodged an appeal, and the hearing was expected to take place in 2006. Rooibos Ltd also brought an application to the US patents and trademarks office to cancel the registration.Bergh told Business Day the direct implication of the judgment was that distributors would be able to use the term without having to pay. The indirect effect would be that distributors, who were not investing in marketing in the US because of the uncertainty over the name, would now start building up their market.Rooibos sales in the US are worth an estimated R70-million at retail level, Bergh said. That compares with about R300-million of retail sales value in South Africa.According to Business Day, Germany is the biggest market for rooibos tea, importing more than South Africa consumes.Bergh told the newspaper that although rooibos tea is a dryland – not irrigated – product and vulnerable to weather conditions, the industry produces about 9 000 to 10 000 tons of the tea a year, which could easily be doubled.The cost of the case to Rooibos Ltd has been astronomical. Because the lawsuit was in the interest of the entire rooibos-producing industry, it was decided to approach the South African government for financial assistance and support. The Department of Trade and Industry pledged R2-million, and the Western Cape provincial government R250 000.The red bushRooibos is a caffeine-free herbal tea with numerous scientifically tested health benefits. It is one of the many indigenous South African plants that make up the Cape Floristic Region. A world biodiversity hotspot and one of South Africa’s six World Heritage sites, the region has more plant species than the whole of the British Isles or New Zealand.Overall sales of rooibos in the US climbed from just over $1-billion (R6.7-billion) in 1993 to about $5.1-billion (R34.1-billion) in 2003, according to the Tea Council of the US.“Rooibos sales in America, in spite of the registered name obstacle, have quadrupled every year since 1999,” says Hugh Lamond, president of California-based Herbal Teas International.Rooibos has a delicate flavour as well as documented health benefits from polyphenols and antioxidants, which may delay the ageing process and help protect against heart attack and certain types of cancer.Many varieties of rooibos teas are available in grocery, speciality and natural food stores throughout the US, Canada, Europe and Japan. Rooibos Ltd also exports the tea to manufacturers and wholesalers in the US and Canada.SouthAfrica.info reporter
In 1961 Nelson Mandela was a younger man of 42, on the run from the police for organising strike action in protest against South Africa’s independence from British rule. The decision to make the country a “republic” had been determined by a referendum in which only white people could vote. As freedom from British rule meant the freedom to implement apartheid, most white voters chose freedom from British rule.Mandela organised a labour strike to protest the new racist republic, and by doing so made himself a marked man. His increasingly militant solutions to the problem of apartheid also made him a target for the police. He was on the run. Yet, despite apartheid lunacy, way back then – over 60 years ago – Mandela remained outspokenly committed to racial tolerance and peace.Watch Mandela explain his views in his very first televised interview, in 1961.